In this article I’ll tell you about Ways to develop a successful e-commerce website. E-commerce occupies a large part of the pie of what the Internet is used for, several companies have turned towards the Internet to sell their products with the simplicity and low investment required as no infrastructure is required in comparison to an offline business, less personnel are also required which cuts costs.
When selling online however, there is a certain approach to follow to ensure that your venture would turn out successful, here are some of them:
- Make sure the software is convenient to use. A customer’s attention span maybe slim and mindset may vary, a slight difficulty in finding that ‘add to cart’ button or finding an appropriate product description maybe enough to turn the customer away.
- Make your product prominent. Make sure your design employs high emphasis on the product you are looking to sell and its features, provide detailed, high quality photos and plenty of other visual cues to explain as much about the product as possible.
- Ask your customer to buy it. A call to action is one of the main rules of marketing while it may appear as something you should stay away from. Some people believe if you are trying to sell something you shouldn’t make it obvious however asking the customer to buy may cement the decision in the customer’s head once you have convinced him enough with the product features and pros.
- Don’t compromise on security. Make sure you provide the highest possible encryption that you see fit for your website and highlight it on your site so that your customers know their credit card details are safe when entered on your website.
- Simplify the site. When designing your site, think minimalist in terms of information you request from the user, when checking out, request only the details you exactly need for data processing, reduce the number of clicks required before a customer can get more information on a certain product.
Keeping the above points and these online business schemes as ground rules when developing your e-commerce site would ensure you are on the right track to a successful online business. When it comes to picking the software, there are different options you could go for depending on your budget, a tailor made script would always be the best if you don’t have limited time or a limited budget, if either of these are an issue you can use a free or paid script available online that are also pretty solid.
For a free solution, zencart is one of the most popular and recommended choices. X-cart is a popular shareware script that you might want to consider. If you use a ready made script, you will need to tweak it to suit your requirements. This should cost relatively less compared to designing a custom script.
Once you have setup the site using a method above and following the guidelines stated, you should be on your way, the next step would be marketing your website which may initially require some time, investment and effort, after that initial userbase is established, your business should move forward by word of mouth, organic traffic and testimonials by other customers online.